Taking the leap this Valentine’s doesn’t have to be old hat. Choose from our favourite spots for the ultimate romantic location to get down on one knee and pop the question to your number one this February.
With all the emotions flying around this month, you may have decided that ‘I love you’ just won’t cut it this year. Valentine’s Day is a romantic day all around. You might already have plans with your beau. Possibly some that involve a proposal.
What could be more romantic than a weekend away in a self catering cottage? Get in a lovely bottle of champagne and enjoy a fancy home cooked dinner before snuggling up next to the fire. Start your days early and pack a picnic to enjoy on a long walk through the local area. Hand in hand, you can discover a new place and make new memories together.
But for those of us who are ‘romantically challenged’, you’ve probably planned nothing and have no idea where to even start. Have no fear! We’ve thought through all your options and collated a brief list of ways to propose whilst you’re away together in the South and West. This is by no means just for Valentine’s though. We wouldn’t wish anyone the dreary experience of strawberry picking (or searching) in the spring rains. Instead, this is an all year round list so no matter when you plan on proposing, you’ll find some ideas to get you going.
All that’s left to do is choose the ring. Good luck!
1. As the sun sets on the top of Golden Cap in Dorset
2. Write your proposal in the golden sands at Perranporth and celebrate with a champagne picnic when she (hopefully) says yes
3. After an incredible flight along the Eden Project zipwire
4. Go fossil hunting along Dorset’s Jurassic coast and ‘find’ the ring box amongst the ancient fossils
5. In the walled garden at the beautiful Osborne House
6. Whilst sailing on a yacht in Cowes
7. Perched on the Tarr steps in North Devon
8. After a blood-pumping course around Adrenalin Quarry
9. Reliving something out of Pride and Prejudice on the Palladian bridge in Prior Park, Bath
10. In the mysterious room-behind-a-bookcase at the romantic Chintz wine bar in Falmouth
11. By the circles of Stonehenge, just watch out for the druids
12. Where the two rivers meet at Watersmeet in Devon whilst it’s snowing
13. After locking your Significant Other in a cell at Bodmin jail
14. By the Giant’s heart in the path at St Michael’s Mount
15. Tie the ring to your bicycle bell and propose on the iron bridge over the River Torridge on the Tarka Trail
16. Panning for gold at Cornwall Gold
17. During a break from kayaking along the pretty creeks of South Devon
18. As part of your visit to a local vineyard
19. In the shadow of the statue of pregnant Verity in Ilfracombe
21. During some summer strawberry-picking
22. Outside Hawker’s Hut in Bude
23. By arriving by boat at the Pandora Inn
24. On the small private beach, a short walk from Hartland Abbey near Welcombe
25. Sharing a stinky kiss at the Isle of Wight Garlic Farm
26. As part of a quiet day together on the secluded Looe island, also known as St George’s Island
27. By hiding the ring in a bread roll on a breadmaking course
28. On the chairlift overlooking the Needles
29. Whilst taking a romantic river cruise along the Helford River
30. By starlight on Exmoor National Park
31. Stood on the chest of the Cerne Abba giant in Dorset
32. On a treasure hunt geocaching in the grounds of Cotehele house and gardens
33. Channelling Patrick Swayze at a pottery making class
34. By the Dart Estuary after visiting Agatha Christie’s Greenway
35. In a quiet grotto next to the lake of Stourhead gardens
36. Amongst the ruins of Tintagel Castle
37. By her favourite flowers at Somerset’s Hestercombe Gardens
38. During a magical wander through the Gardens of Heligan
39. Whilst picnic-ing in the summer at Durdle Door - celebrate with a frolick in the ocean waves
40. Or, quite simply, in one of our beautiful holiday cottages after a lovely day together enjoying the change of scenery.