Get in touch about letting your property

Compliance for your holiday let

Letting with classic

Classic Cottages take our legal responsibility to our owners and guests seriously. The following list is a detailed breakdown of our statutory and general compliance requirements, which keep us and our owners ahead of the game!

Here are our 12 essentials when it comes to compliance:


1. Holiday Cottage Insurance


Your holiday let property and contents should be insured to their full value, under a policy which covers commercial holiday properties, with public/property owners’ liability cover for paying guests. You can read further details about insurance here.


2. Fire Risk Assessment


It is now a legal requirement to have a recorded Fire Risk Assessment. We strongly recommend appointing a registered Fire Risk Assessor who will have the knowledge to identify risks, meet legislation and help to keep your property and your guests safe. A copy of your Fire Risk Assessment should be available in your property. For further information about fire risk assessments, read our blog here and you can ready more about current legislation here.


3. Gas Safety


A Landlord’s Certificate (CP12) annual certificate (not the annual service) is required wherever there is a gas supply or appliance (including LPG gas) and a copy of this is required to be kept at property. This certificate must be completed by Gas Safe registered engineer.


4. Oil Safety


A Landlord’s Certificate (CD11 or CD12) annual certificate is required for any oil systems – and a copy kept at the property. To be completed by OFTEC registered engineer.


5. PAT Testing


All portable appliances should be tested every 1-2 years by an electrician, and results recorded. Regular visual checks should be made by owner/ housekeeper in the intervening period.


6. Electrical Installation


A Condition Report is required which involves a 5-year inspection of electrical wiring installation, with registered condition report and certificate issued (this will include a date for re-inspection).


7. Private Water Supplies


Where a property has a water supply that is not provided by a water company e.g. from a private well, bore hole or a spring, this should be tested at least annually by the Local Authority.


8. Fire Blankets and Extinguishers


A fire blanket (wall mounted in the kitchen) and fire extinguishers should be supplied and checked at each changeover, plus annually by a competent person.


9. Smoke Alarms 


Linked smoke alarms should be fitted in all living areas, bedrooms, and anywhere a fire may start. Kitchens should also have a heat alarm. A record should be kept of checks during every changeover.


10. Carbon Monoxide Alarms


These are required wherever there is an appliance that produces flames when in operation (e.g. gas, oil, coal or wood). A record should be kept of checks during every changeover. 


11. Chimney/Flue Sweeping


Chimneys and flues should be swept at least annually (some insurers require more frequent attention) regardless of how much use the chimney/flue has had during the year. After your chimney/flue is swept you will be provided with an insurance compliant certificate which is valid for one year. Keeping your chimney/flue swept and using the correct fuel not only keeps you and your guests safe but helps you to save money too.


12. TV Licencing


It is a legal requirement to have a TV licence for your holiday home, no matter how often is it used. Further information can be found here.


Other checks which we recommend are undertaken include:


Aga servicing

Heat pump service

Ground source heat pump service

Air source heat pump service

Under floor heating service

Biomass central heating


We’ve got you covered!


We keep copies of our owner’s compliance certificates and send reminder emails when the expiry date is near, giving reassurance renewal dates will not be missed. 

Our Owner Support team can offer guidance on any compliance matter, help with finding local contractors, or even make the arrangements for you.


 If you would like to speak to the team, please call 01326 555500 or email


Related guides

Guide to VAT for Furnished Holiday Lets

Here is our rundown of VAT for Furnished Holiday Lets in 2024 so you can navigate these waters with confidence.

The Government announces regulation changes for short term lets

The government has set out new rules for short term lets, focusing on a registration scheme and changes to planning laws. We have summarised the changes and given our stance on how these changes will impact the industry.

New fire safety regulations for holiday homes in England and Wales

Understand the new guidance and regulations for holiday home fire safety in England and Wales with our handy guide.