Once the capital of Cornwall, Launceston is steeped in history and surrounded by miles of beautiful countryside. Staying in one of our self catering cottages in Launceston allows you the perfect base to discover this historic town and further afield.
Things to Do
• Step back in time with a visit to Launceston Castle which was built in the 13th century. Following an exhilarating climb to the top of the Tower, relax with a picnic and enjoy breathtaking views of the countryside and town.
• Wander through the narrow streets and discover Launceston’s many independent shops offering a selection of local produce, crafts and clothes.
• Visit the Georgian townhouse of Lawrence House Museum for an insight into local history, including a fascinating collection of exhibitions.
• Journey through the gorgeous Cornish countryside on the Launceston Steam Railway, an enjoyable day out for kids and adults alike.
• Explore one of the many nearby woodland walks or town trails and get your fix of nature and local heritage.
Places to Eat
With a wonderful collection of local cafes and restaurants, Launceston has a great selection to choose from whatever takes your fancy. Enjoy a delicious meal of proper food at the Proper Ansome cafe, get your Sunday Roast fix at the Eliot Arms and treat yourself to coffee and a slice of cake at the Cowslip Cafe.
In just a thirty minute drive you can reach Boscastle which is a picturesque village surrounded by stunning coastline. Get lost in one of the many art galleries and discover the scenic walks on the South West Coast Path. Visit the nearby Tintagel which is famous for its links to King Arthur and explore the Castle and National Trust’s Old Post Office for a step back in time. Spend a day exploring Dartmoor National Park for peaceful walks, picnics and peace and quiet.
Browse our holiday cottages in Cornwall to explore more of this beautiful county.