Midway between Sampford Manor and Sampford Church, originally a church house built in 1585, The Old National School began welcoming children in 1899. No longer home to small children clutching slates and chalk, it is now an interesting and quirky property in a true moorland setting. Inside there are high ceilings and a lovely wooden floor in the sitting-room, several steps up and down throughout the cottage and a particularly striking kitchen/diner. Floor to ceiling windows let the light pour in and there is an oak dining-table and chairs, a well-equipped kitchen-area and the benefit of an open fire. Open up to roof level, a special feature of this room is a lovely carved minstrel gallery framing the large landing above (please take care with children).