Photography by Annabel Elston
1. Buy your stamps at The Tree Inn, possibly the only pub in the world with its own official Post Office, and say hi to Christine, she’s a delight.
2. Measure yourself against the Cornish Giant and revolutionary Anthony Payne who stood 7ft 4in in
his stockings and drank a gallon of wine a day – his head-to-toe portrait hangs in The Tree Inn courtyard and he’s buried in the church up the road.
3. Find the ‘Poetree’ which reads:
In a soul psyche kiss, amor arrow never
miss, deep rooted true, beautiful butterfly,
I’m cupidly in love with you xxx
4. Forage for the wild garlic that grows in Stratton Woods since medieval times and throw it in the supper.
5. “Never call Stratton a village, as Stratton was a town when Bude was a grain of sand.” If you call the place a town, Strattonians will love you for it.
6. “Fancy a game of spoof, official sport of Stratton?” You might win a drink or even lunch, but if you don’t know the rules, don’t play.