News & Offers

Travelling to the UK from the EU: What you need to know

A holiday in the UK should be a fun thing to plan, where ever you're travelling from! What sights would you like to see? Where in the UK is on your bucket list? We would love to know your answers to these questions but if you're travelling from the EU you may have a few more pressing questions you'd like answered first...

If you plan to holiday in the UK and will be travelling from the EU, there may be a few questions on your mind before you book. So we have picked out a few key questions and answers along with some relevant links to the government guidelines to help you plan your holiday to the UK.

We also advise you check the government website for full details before you travel, just so you have all the information you need before you travel. Please see the government guidelines here.



What documents do I need to enter the UK from the EU?


If you’re a EU, EEA or Swiss citizen you can travel to the UK for holidays or short trips without needing a visa. You can come to the UK using a valid passport.

EU, EEA or Swiss national ID cards can only be used to enter the UK before 1st October 2021. They will not be valid after this date.



Can I still enter the UK with a passport that expires in less than six months?


You can. So long as your passport is valid for the full duration of your time in the UK. You can find out more information here on the government website.




Bringing goods to the UK, have the rules changed?


Some rules have changed for bringing goods into the UK from the EU. Please click here to see full details.




Are non-UK driving licenses still valid in the UK?


Yes, visitors with a non-UK driving license can drive in the UK. You do not need an international driving permit. You do, however, need to be able to provide an insurance green card or other valid proof of insurance if you’re travelling in your own vehicle. 



Will phone rates change when using my mobile phone in the UK?


How much you pay for calls, texts and mobile data in the UK and the EU will depend on your operator. Please check before you travel.



Will I still be able to bring my pet from the EU to the UK on holiday? 


There will be no change to the current health preparations for pets entering Great Britain from the EU from 1 January 2021. Please check the current guidelines on travelling with pets to make sure you have the relevant documents.


Now you've got the logistics covered, why not get onto the fun part and browse our collection of holiday cottages in the UK to find the perfect place for your next trip? 

More reading